View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevan View Post
I too was skeptical of Renee at first but I really do think as a working class outsider and activist she presents a strong progressive alternative to Andy Wells (St. John's wannabe Donald Trump) and Danny Breen (status quo).

Although Renee has no formal political experience on council she has plenty among the many activist groups around town and I thought she killed it on Cross Talk a couple weeks back.

At risk of falling into the "lesser evils" fallacy, which of her opponents do you see as a better or more viable option? I originally was considering Breen knowing little about the guy, but after seeing how cozy he's been with a certain Danny Williams (and Wells is no different on this front) and some questionable donors there's simply no way he could have my support.

Your point that social services (mental health, etc) are strictly under provincial jurisdiction: when it comes to things like safe injection sites, soup kitchens, and sex work, this is simply not the case.

As for a lack of understanding of how the city operates or public policy much of the current council appears to be no better.
I was actually considering not voting for mayor and only voting for council positions. I didn't see any of the three as a viable option, I will look further into Ms. Sharpe.