View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 1:21 AM

Finally the bridge will be rebuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc087 View Post
This is a huge loss for the city. This is the second most iconic structure in the city and we are just turning our backs on it. Sometimes public input isn't the best thing in building a great city.
KGC I completely disagree with you and the heritage society. Do you keep old sneakers when they are worn out. Some things just are not worth keeping for memories. There will be thousands of pictures to remember the traffic bridge and an upgrade was essential to accommodate your philosophy of increasing downtown density and a thriving downtown that acts as the centre of the community. In order for this to occur we need good access and a new bridge will serve as an excellent entrance to Nasser's development.

On the flip side I do think we need to do something to commemorate the bridge and its history. As I mentioned in a previous post rehabilitating one section of the bridge into the nearby Meewasin Trail may be an excellent way to keep the history while expanding our City. I am not one who is against the keeping of our historical buildings, but buildings can be much better retrofitted than a bridge.