View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 7:35 AM
Closed account

From what I remember:

Thai/Vietnamese: the one on Albert St just north of College Av, in what used to be the Brass Lantern. I forget what it's called. The one on Albert St at 13 Av is good too. In fact I think those two have some rivalry going on between chefs.

Chinese: the one in the strip mall on the north-west corner of Victoria Av and Fleet St. I also forget what that one's called ("Regency" something?) Newtown on 12 Av and ?Smith St, when was still on Broad St in the Travellers' Bldg, was a big part of my growing up for the usual "Chinese-Canadian" comfort food. That and the OB Kitchen and Tim's Kitchen in the east end.

Japanese: the one in the strip mall on Quance St just west of University Pk Dr. Yes, I too forget what it's called. Not as fancy as the three other Japanese ones closer downtown ("Michi", "Neo Japonica" and "Teppanyaki"?), but the price is right (ie cheap).

Coffee: the Atlantis Cafe on Victoria Av and ?Hamilton St, and the Roca Jack on Scarth St and 12 Av for ambience, though I do like the actual coffee at Starbucks at Chapters better. Why isn't there a Starbucks downtown?

Coffee plus a meal: the Abstractions Cafe on ?Rose St and 14Av (they even had zatar pita!), the 13 Av Coffee House in front of the Cathedral, the Stone's Throw on Kramer Blvd and Wascana Pkwy near the University. I owe them all my medical licence.

Pizza: Houston on Park St and Victoria Av, and the one in that little mall on ?Grant Rd near the Readers Book Shop. People rave about Copper Kettle, but the one time I had one from there (feta and spinach) it was a leftover and tasted accordingly. Which was still good, but I'd like to try it fresh some day.

Also, the RGH Cafeteria has a really good and cheap salad bar, and big and cheap stir fries (in those little Chinese food takeaway boxes!) at lunchtime. One of the best hospital cafeterias in Canada hands-down, though the early '80s decor and dead, lifeless courtyard could do with some sprucing up. The Robins in there is also pretty entertaining, what with patients rolling in with IV poles and catheters coming in for their fix - "just hook it to my vein!"

Places I wanted to try but haven't yet: Simply Delicious on Victoria Av near the Milky Way has fine desserts and such I hear; that Irish pub on Scarth St looks fun from the outside; that vegetarian place in the "Transition Area"; Novia Cafe (is it still open?).

Is the cafeteria on the roof of SaskPower still open? I haven't been there since I was 12, but I'm sure it's still the tallest place you can go in Regina to get a bite.