View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 1:21 AM

Completely agree with Metro-One. I am a Registered Professional Forester and a Registered Professional Biologist in the province of BC. My undergrad was forest ecology/genetics and my post grad (UBC) specialized in alternative silviculture methods using designated trails and long term soil disturbance (compaction) and effects on the regeneration of plantations. I currently oversee all BCTS road construction for the south okanagan and I also own an IT firm specializing in AI algorithm development (deep learning) and using new software applications in forest analysis. Fire suppression has led to significant ingress growth in the drier biogeoclimatic areas of BC over the past 80 years. This has led to fuel load build up and also development of multiple layers of growth allowing "laddering" of fire from the ground up to tree crowns. Multiple areas in Kelowna are removing these fuels and ladder potential where urban development is at risk.

Don't really care weather this dude Double K comes from or if he has a degree in forestry. If you are not educated on fire ecosystems and changes over time and how fire risk has changed accordingly then maybe keep your opinions to yourself.