View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 1:48 AM

I communicated with someone from Heritage Ottawa a few years ago when I considering writing a piece on the Adult High School and its impending demolition with regards to the Gladstone CDP. This is from the email they sent me. I recognize how it may need to be renovated and how the podium plays a role in how it interacts with Gladstone and the yard behind it. But the three-building complex with a plaza in between and a courtyard skylight. It's a pretty interesting building. I'm sure that as the area grows they may need a school in the future, anyway.

Quote:
It was the High School of Commerce from its construction in 1967 until it became the Adult High School in 1990.

Before 1967 the High School of Commerce was housed in the west end of the Glebe Collegiate building on Bronson.

The 1967 building was designed by Ottawa-born architect Sydney Lithwick, who died in 2008
(obituary at http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...d7313&sponsor=

Heritage Ottawa would certainly be concerned about any plans to demolish the building, without considering first its importance as an example of modernist architecture and a symbol of the building boom that culminated in Centennial year, 1967.