View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
What boundaries are you using for these "quadrants"?
I think using the prevalence of crowded housing is a pretty good measure.

NW quadrant would include York, SW North York, Emery, Jane-Finch, Rexdale, Dixon, Malton. NE quadrant would include Crescent Town, Flemingdon, Thorncliffe, Eglinton East, West Hill, Malvern, Morningside, Dorset Park.

Brampton is like the suburban extension of the NW quadrant, more middle class but with ties to the NW quadrant. For the NE quadrant, Milliken and especially North Ajax are both kind of like more middle class suburban extensions of it. Burnhamthorpe and Cooksville in Mississauga, and the Bathurst St corridor of North York are also fairly poor but smaller more isolated clusters.

Using income measures, Milliken would be the poorest part of the Toronto area, but I think there's enough Chinese immigrants there relying on overseas income or savings that they aren't quite as poorly off as the Canadian tax records would suggest. It's still not a wealthy area, and there are still lower income families there, the truly wealthy Chinese with overseas wealth are more likely to live in places like Bayview Village, Richmond Hill, maybe even SE Oakville and the Bridle Path, as well as parts of downtown, but I'd say Milliken is still not quite as poor as Jane-Finch, Rexdale, West Hill, Crescent Town, Jane-Lawrence, etc.