View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
Why does nearly every project have to have a combination of a podium, park or plaza that fills out the entire space? Three skyscrapers could be built on that lot with the footprint of that podium. This is probably roughly Wolf Point's total area. Two more towers could have been built on the park space at One Bennett Park as well. The density Chicago is losing with this trend is unbelievable and the voids they create keep Chicago from ever feeling overwhelming.

Areas where there could have been a canyon offer sweeping views off into the distance. Here's a sad example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8918...7i16384!8i8192
I hear you...the problem is we have too many nimbys and alderman who bow to them from preventing that hyper density that we would want despite all these areas are considered downtown or extension of downtown Chicago. For some reason this fear of "manhattenzation" (which i hate to say because i think the Loop itself is similar to manhatten type density at times ) and height bothering people...just look at the example of that 60 story developement reilly knocked down basically right off michigan avenue..i never understand how opposition to tall building effects people vs a shorter squat one...they should put there energy and focus about quality of design regardless of size of building.