View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 8:05 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Have you ever even been there on foot? It's literally a different world when you cross under that highway. I used to have to take a bus transfer on the same corner where the VIA transfer plaza is now. During the day time it's pretty bad, it's partly a day labor pick up zone and partly a hang out for bums. It's really pretty shocking sometimes how many people are just loitering around with beer or malt liquor in brown paper bags or passed out on the sidewalk there. During the nighttime it switches from intimidating to terrifying, I've never felt so scared and threatened in San Antonio as when I would be walking through that area. I don't have to wait for the bus there anymore thank god, but when I bike through that area nowadays it doesn't seem too different than it did a few years ago.

And for those who think I have an elitist axe to grind against homeless people, I really don't, but there's a huge gulf between what I would call "regular" homeless and substance abusers. The Cattleman's Square area is mostly the later.
I was an undergrad at UTSA and almost all of my classes were at the downtown campus. So yes... all the time. It isn't as bad as I really think you think it is.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Apr 25, 2016 at 6:52 PM.