View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Would have been a good future bus corridor as well. RT/AT.

--

Side note, the Assinniboine bike crossing on Main Street has been entirely painted in green epoxy. Much more visible, great job.

The city should be painting hashed green lines like this at ALL bike lanes going through intersections - whether buffered or not. Even Saskatoon has done that. No extra awareness for drivers to know to expect bikes crossing, which would be very valuable for right turns on reds and one-way left turns.
It's a great start, but 2016 Fort pilot of that paint has me nervous about its longevity. That paint is pretty heavily worn one year in, and that's with minimal non-bike traffic in the lane. If it's regularly repainted (not holding my breathe, but maybe!) it certainly helps.

Still concerned the EB Assiniboine to SB Main corner design encourages cars to take the corner at speed. Now that it's a stop instead of a yield, I'd really like to see the turning lane removed and a 90° corner required of cars to slow that corner right down. Assiniboine really can't also be a convenient shortcut for EB Broadway traffic to cut over and merge to SB Main with the AT crossing at Main, and removing the turning lane would discourage that usage. There's a very active Twitter account for Assiniboine and Main AT Crossing concerns, and I've personally had issues about 25% of the time when crossing as a pedestrian or a cyclist.

Streetview photo from 2016 with the offending corner, but without the new paint: