View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 4:41 AM
Everywhere all at once

I saw the article for this on silive last night and I basically was all

The reason I love this idea...aside from every reason why I'd love for my home borough to steal some of the spotlight off the other four boroughs...is that few people realize the dynamic setting of St. George (the neighborhood around the ferry terminal). The view is quite amazing from the ground...let alone from 600 feet in the air...and it's very sweeping. You can see all the way from Bayonne to Coney Island, absolutely everything fronting New York Harbor, and there is a great promenade that invites strolling and taking in the view. It's greatest lack is substantial retail and restaurants that people can recreate within after they stroll the neighborhood.

In addition, St. George is on very hilly terrain, pecked all over with beautiful old mansions and San Franciscan streetscapes (two of Staten Island's three historic districts are within 20 minutes of the terminal). This from the air would also be an unprecedented view. It is the sort of setting that would frame the wheel itself beautifully, and provide stunning views 360 degrees around.

My fingers are crossed.