View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:49 PM

I don't mind the way University Ave is currently set up with its Park Avenue median, but there needs to be significant changes to the way the median is set up itself.

The monuments are historic and shouldn't be removed or even moved, but the hardscaping and landscaping is looking very haggard and needs a revamp.

I would also take the opportunity to completely redesign the width of the median in some places since there are places that could benefit from having a dedicated left turn lane at certain intersections, which could then allow one of the general purpose lanes in each direction to be converted to a cycle track plus additional sidewalk space.

Right now, left turns are done by hiding in the cove formed by the median, perpendicular to the street itself, and then advancing when it's safe. It reminds me of the setup of those 4-lane rural Prairie highways when you want to turn off and go down a range road that intersects at grade. The difference, of course, is that it works there because the traffic volumes are a magnitude lower and the berth is wider.