View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm not convinced that Point Douglas would have been a better location for IGF. It would have run into some of the same traffic bottleneck issues, and it would have turned a good chunk of the area into a "stadium zone" instead of a residential area that it has the potential to be.

The U of M is a good location for the stadium... the only problem is that the City somehow failed to realize that putting a large stadium there without any new transportation infrastructure whatsoever to support the influx of crowds was a recipe for trouble.
The bolded is especially true as without regular events the area could become quite empty. At least the University can use it where it is.

I never cared about the traffic - would get solved eventually and the influx of 20,000+ people would do nothing but make downtown better. Downtown still feels too empty at times in certain areas and the more down here the better. Probably an extreme point of view but it was the least of my concerns for the proposed location.

I don't agree the U of M is a good location for the stadium but can cede that it may have been the best location given the circumstances. The fact they have all the room in the world to have built sufficient infrastructure out there but didn't is a huge failure.