View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Far be it for me to defend surface parking in the core but the parking lot for the Hyatt will be completely hidden behind the hotel, and will occupy land (next to the railway tracks) that would never otherwise be developed (due to inaccessibility). For these reasons, in this particular location, the surface parking lot doesn't bother me much.

By avoiding a parking garage, the developers are likely saving a million bucks or so, but that doesn't mean the building itself will be of poor quality. Again, I have high hopes that this will be a quality project that will do justice to the ongoing redevelopment of the downtown core.

My one time endorsement for the surface parking lot for the Hyatt should not be misconstrued as a blanket justification for surface parking elsewhere in the downtown. We have too much surface parking, especially since most of it is in private bootable lots sucking the oxygen out of the downtown. The vast majority of the private bootable lots should be redeveloped for commercial and residential purposes, as well as for several multilevel parking structures. My feelings on this are well known and have not changed.

The occasional surface lot however, especially if hidden from view, will do no harm to the core however.
I agree with you & do not see this building as looking too suburban for the downtown core. The lower height means more width & length which fills that gap from the subway to the events centre. That walk right now is not appealing to most Monctonians, the area feels "unsafe" to people. Mostly this is fictionally in their minds, but put some shops, some modern lighting (like at the events centre) and tie that together with the plaza & suddenly this is one of the most vibrant areas of Moncton.

Also on the Crowne Plaza..I personally think its one of the ugliest buildings in Moncton. I love the sizing but it has aged poorly. New windows, paint, lighting and signage would go a long way though.