View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Well firstly many cities have a lot more annual population growth than Winnipeg so things tend to pop up faster.
Are you discounting the growth in the suburbs? In the last 5 years according to this link Winnipeg grew its population by 46,300 people roughly (as this site doesn't list 2015 stats). Now don't get it twisted, I'm not disagreeing as other prairie cities do tend to grow faster. I'm just illustrating with this statistic that those 46,000 people are living somewhere and I think that it could be in the newer suburban developments like Waverly West and some of the northern suburb developments as well (names are escaping me at the moment). If the city wanted to, they could have developed more inner-city areas to take advantage of these TOD's with the influx of people. The city isn't shrinking.... yet.

Quote:
But second the transitway is only half finished and as such it doesn't really serve much of a purpose in its current state. The real tragedy is it's taking so long to get that done. But I would leave the evaluation til whenever the thing is finished to really get a sense of its effect. The golf course land at the U of M will anchor the other end of this things and that area has huge potential if they don't flub the development of it.
Someone must be laundering their money with this transit project because there is absolutely no way it takes over 5 years to complete a project like this that only consists of bus stations, maybe a flyover/bridge, and maybe a tunnel; all over about 15km (for the second phase, correct me if I'm wrong). Winnipeg has completed bigger, more complicated projects in less time. You guys should seriously be pissed. And that golf course proposal is ugly as sin.

Quote:
At the end of the day though, doesn't matter if they're building today or 15 years from now - if they're building near a transit station because the station is there, then it's TOD. I really doubt those buildings would be going up if Osborne station weren't there.
It does matter because it influences votes on politicians that represent (or don't) represent these urban design considerations. Would the average driver in Winnipeg actually vote for a politician advocating for this BRT and its TOD, when there is barely any traffic-impact (or TOD) because of it? Probably not. And the residential portion (as far as I'm aware) is just a proposal. No guarantee there.