View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
I agree on midrise. Washington DC is all buildings this size with no high rises, and it is plenty of density for vibrant neighborhoods with retail and restaurants.

Also, the RIO zoning overlay generally limits high rises around here, anyway.

Plus, this isn’t on a major road, like Broadway, or even a secondary road like Grayson or Josephine. This is kind of in the middle of a neighborhood. I think it’s amazing scale, and I’m glad it’s not 4 story stick frame, but trust me that it will be enormous in the neighborhood, and a nice step up from the 3 story brownstones being built nearby.

I’m a cheerleader for high rises, too, but I dont have a problem with this scale at this location at all.
I have a close relative who lives in DC and I've been there many times. I believe DC has strict height restrictions in an effort not to overshadow iconic buildings like the Washington Monument and the Capitol. But if SA ever approaches the density and vibrancy of Washington DC (including its Metro rail system, which was retro-installed in the 1980s) then I will be well-satisfied. I agree that this development is a good thing. I've also been to European cities like Barcelona, Paris, and London, and they have mile after mile of midrise developments which work beautifully with their transit systems. Again, this is an urban ideal which San Antonio should strive for.