View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2010, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Ummm, I think you guys are completely wrong. I bet most hockey players love the attention they get in smaller and/or hockey mad markets. It's kind of like being a rock star.

I agree that playing in smaller markets has it's obvious draw backs, but being a big fish in a small pond certainly isn't one these guys complain about, in fact I would wager it's what they strive for.
Some do. Many others don't. Joe Sakic, Scott Niedermayer, Martin Brodeur, Vincent Lecavalier, Rob Blake, Paul Kariya, Brad Stuart and Ron Francis are among the many Canadian players who have shown a desire to play in lower key American markets despite considerable offers and other pressure to sign with Canadian teams. A lot of hockey players, especially Canadian ones, aren't anything like rock stars, or even athletes from other sports like football or basketball. They shy away from the spotlight and routinely deflect attention from themselves and give the "aww shucks..." routine during interviews and when they are given praise.

The other thing is that a lot of these guys marry American girls and have families, and that weighs on their decision when deciding where to sign. In the past, a lot have shown a desire to stay in the States, or even particular regions due to where they have established their families and the wishes of their spouse.