View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2020, 8:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Similar story here, and a common one in North America I imagine. Parents live closer to work in the inner city in small place, have first child, move to house in suburbs and commute to work, kid moves back downtown after university.
That was my parents back in the 70s. They were living in a 2-flat in Rogers Park with my older sister. then, right before I was born, they bought the house in the burbs that I grew up in. They eventually moved back into a flat building in Rogers Park after they became empty nesters.

When I became an adult I moved to the city. The difference being that my wife and I have decided to stay in the city and raise our two kids in a typical chicago 3-flat in a typical chicago neighborhood.

The societal pull to move out to the burbs to get the Holy Grail detached SFH was extremely strong, and we very much went house hunting in some inner ring burbs when we were looking for our forever home, but I'm oh so glad that we stayed in the city.

Not that inner ring pre-war Chicago sububia is a bad option or anything, but over the decades I've grown into a full-fledged "city" person.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 2, 2020 at 8:58 PM.