View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 29, 2007, 2:09 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Are skyscrapers not the ultimate non-human scale thing man creates?"

Yes, but their street interaction is human scale. Usually. And freeways, overpasses and interchanges can be beneficial but they can also tear an urban fabric apart. They have to be applied carefully.
I would agree with you there.

It really comes down to planning... as a means to benefit the city and its economy if planned properly. Improving the transportaion capacity and efficiency through well planned infrastructure investment such as interchanges has been proven to be beneficial to local economies. This real potencial to improve and broaden the transportation and distribution investment and improve commercial transportation efficiency can be used to enhance other aspects of transportation such as rapid transit.

With that said I also stand in firm believe that having a few hundred cars held up for 15 to 20 minutes .. a few times a day is extremely inefficent in terms of time, fuel and environmental pollution. A city is a place which offers a vast choice of properties and lifestyles, which must be serviced with sufficent roadways to sure its population and business interests. The city's economists have long since realized that (the hated by many Winnipeg forumers) suburbanites pay a massive premium to the city, which subsidizes much of the inner city, is needed to have a well financed city. This is only another example of how transportation efficiency is seen as and used as an investment by a city or metro area.