View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
To a degree they did. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe arrests were down and so was the confiscation of illegal guns.

As for Rahm, he's probably more worried about his poll numbers more than anything else. After all, it was alleged that he sat on the Laquan McDonald video so that he could win reelection. Had the video been released prior to the election, Rahm would have likely lost.

In all honesty though, beyond a few high profile killings last year, the vast majority of the increased homicides happened in the neighborhoods that were already prone to them. This meant life went on as usual in the majority of the city, and not a lot of people cared. That's why you could have multiple people dead in a day in neighborhoods like Englewood and Austin and no one would so much as blink on the North Side, but then someone got killed near the Art Institute and *then* people started freaking out. Only the murders in unusual locations shocked the city.
I see. Per the wiki, it says Chicago had a clearance rate of 70% in the early 90s, going back that far, it was nearly 1000 murders a year. wow! fast forward to 2016 and the homicide clearance rate is 21%....I think the cops just gave up. As far as Im concerned, the plight of "urban" America now rests in their own neighborhoods and in democrats' hands. Their narrative is cops are out to get you and the number of forceful incidents is increasing, while across the board, gun violence at the police and civilian level already peaked two decades ago. This recent uptick in homicide is definitely a fallout from events of the last two years but its not indicative of a overall trend of police brutality, but more like a hyper magnification of events thru the internet and mass media. We've entered some interesting political times but many things are intertwined. Ill be curious to see the federal response to some of the upward trends in the Great Lakes and the NE. Clearly many middle class, black northerners are not waiting for things to get better and are voting with their feet and moving to more stable locations. I would too if I had the mean and lived in a neighborhood like Austin or the outer south side.

Last edited by pdxtex; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:23 PM.