View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Woo hooo! and....I am gay as well (for those who can't tell from my avatar).

you don't say? ..... well, I guess that means I must be too! LOL!

Yeah, there might have been more tasteful ways to do it. But what the hell. Not sure how well it will wear before it's a "dirty rainbow"....... but again.... what the hell.... I guess that has it's own metaphor as well! LOL!

I think the best part is the ( indirect) acknowledgement that it was the gay bars that started the revival of the warehouse district when few others wanted to go there.... Save the one African American bar called "Fire and Ice" that actually pre-dated Oil Cans.... and the small theatre ( Capitol City Playhouse) that was where "Fado" is now.
A brief History FYI. in the mid 80s. "Franks" was the "Boat house". The space accross the street that was most recently "kiss and fly" was "Halls" ( the 80s glass brick that just came down was part of the original "Halls" re-do. There was another gay bar that was next to the former "SIX". All of these predated Oil Cans.... and the bars spaces we see today.
The other FYI: 7th and Red River was the other "gay bar district". The original "Chain Drive" was in the "side bar" space. "THe Crossing" was in "Barbarella". Halcyon was one of the first gay dance clubs in Austin in the 70s. (don;t know the name.. A former lighting design professor of mine at UT told me of doing the light system there and when they went in there were still small rooms in the Attic from it's bordello days!) There were also bars in the "Plush" and "red 7" spaces.... and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.!

Last edited by MichaelB; Sep 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM.