View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 12:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
The North Portage redevelopment included hundreds of residential units behind the mall attached via skywalk. High rise, mid rise and commercial with CRUs at ground level. The pads on the mall were intended for office and/or hotel, if I recall correctly. Not sure more residential would have made any difference to the success of the project. Frankly, I think they did it right. But even the best designed mega project cant work miracles. True North is exciting, but I doubt it will be a tipping point for downtown. Much more small scale infill and organic development is also needed. It's one piece of the puzzle.
The tipping point came earlier. After years of relative prosperity in the city, the Downtown became ripe for development and construction of a variety of projects. I have no doubt that one of the reasons David Thomson bought into True North, was to buy up land and develop it. With the influx of people, and the relatively affordable housing market, things are going to get better and better for this city.