View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I'll concede that the image below isn't nearly as good as the one above, but it does show the Sons of the Revolution building surrounded by its neighbors.

So that west side of the 400 block of South Hope...the above is about the best shot I think we've seen of the Rubaiyat (which became the Wickland, seen here, and would later become the St Leon and was built on the site of the Zahn house)—and we've seen the facades of the SoTR and the Santa Barbara and the Touraine and the Briggs and even a fair to middling shot of that house next to the Briggs...

...in any event, I came across this in a 1914 tourist annual, and had to share:

This got me to thinking about these characters across the street, which Michael Ryerson aptly called the "peas-in-a-pod" as seen here.

They were also built by Frances Zahn, but no good photos of their façades exist that I know of. So here they are in rendering form:

The Gordon is the first to go up, Spring of 1912, 618 W 4th—

Then the LaBelle goes up in the Summer of '12, down at the corner at 630 W 4th—

And the Bronx is built between them in the Fall of '12, at 624 W 4th—

These three, and the aforementioned Rubaiyat, are all designed by Frank M Tyler, read about him here and here and here.

Here's a shot of the Gordon and a bit of the Bronx in less happy days, Summer of 1954—
usc

One can even see the demo of the Crestholme across the street at 621...

...the Crestholme was a 1905 hotel by Joseph Cather Newsom, an incredibly prolific and important architect whose work is all but wiped out down here. On Bunker Hill alone he was known for the Bradbury, the Melrose, the Bryan mansion, the Ems, the Hildreth, the Milo Baker house, etc.

Last edited by Beaudry; Mar 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM.