View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Large scale developments CAN take place in the inner city. It has happened in numerous other cities across the US.

Downtown San Antonio is NOT the gathering place for most residents. Most people visit only a few times a year if that. Yes, there are a few government officials (such as our mayor and city council) that conduct business downtown daily. There really isn't much other employment downtown. When you compare us to Houston, Dallas, and Austin you'll find we are severely lacking.

You all keep coming up with excuses why more people (and most businesses) live outside loop 410 than inside. Is it really that hard to accept the truth?

I hope this forum is still around in 5 or 10 years so I can pose another reality check. Downtown San Antonio is NOT going to change dramatically. Our suburbs will continue to attract most of the growth. Keep hoping, praying, and sharing your "ideas" on what should happen.

Yes, I am young. I have only lived in San Antonio for 3 years. Guess what? There are A LOT of young transplants moving to your city. You better get used to it.
You are right, it is happening across the US but that's what I've been trying to explain to you. It doesn't randomly happen. It isn't an act of coincidence that cities evolve the way they do.
Like I said before, travel some, PLEASE, and you will see that the evolution of every American city is pretty much the same. Sure there are different factors that affect that growth, but the trends are fairly simliar.
I have traveled around the US and the world looking at data and historical growth trends in major cities; kind of how I'm coming up with my "pipe dream." What are you basing your statements off of? Midland growth stats? Recent SA growth stats? The amount of cars at La Cantera vs. the amount of cars at Rivercenter? What you "think" is going to happen?

If I was to base any statement solely on one item I cherry-pick, then I could assume that the suburbs are going to fall apart. More foreclosures happened outside 1604 than inside: Do I think that they are going to be a ghost-town based on this stat? No, but it does make a strong case for the need for sustainable development.

Of course Dallas and Houston have more business DT; they have a 30+ year head-start on us! They had 1.8 mil. in the late 70's and 60's, respectively(back farther for DFW.) I'm sure the fact that alot of people work for the state government and UT being located there have a little something to do with DT Austin's business climate.

Excuses or no excuses, you are comparing an area that is similar to Victoria, TX, (~35 sq. miles/Center City) to an area that is larger than the CITY (not metro) of Austin in sq. miles (>300 sq. miles.) I wonder which one, realistically, is going to have the most growth? Let's see: land-locked vs. surrounded by open space? Hmmm.....

And I too hope that this forum is around in 5 or 10 years, so that you will see that not ALL of the growth will have happened in the burbs; majority, of course, but not all. Making a blanket statement doesn't really help your argument.

You didn't have to say you were young, I could tell that by your statements. And yes there are alot of young transplants moving here; I am "young" and have also lived in SA for less than 3 years this time around. Not all share your thoughts that the suburbs are "cool." And it's not just young people that work DT that move to DT. Even in the Vistana, over half of the residents are over 30 and close to half work in the burbs. Just goes to show that the demand, however low it is, is there.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, as your views are just that, and merely a matter of choice or preference. You're also not going to convince me of anything either.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925