View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 13, 2010, 6:59 AM

It is really hard to convince a crowd of pipe dreamers what can be seen by the naked eye. Keep making excuses for why our inner city continues to decay. Large scale developments CAN take place in the inner city. It has happened in numerous other cities across the US. It will not happen in San Antonio because God forbid we level a few 60-year old houses. HDRC and this cities attachment to the historical aspect of EVERY building is harming any potential revitalization efforts. You cry out when anything must be demolished, but complain that nothing new is moving in. We cannot continue to reuse the same facilities over and over. Newer demands will require different floorplans, updated utilities, and unique aesthetic qualities. This is one reason San Antonio's downtown continues to be a focal point for tourist, but lags in most other aspects.

Downtown San Antonio is NOT the gathering place for most residents. Most people visit only a few times a year if that. Yes, there are a few government officials (such as our mayor and city council) that conduct business downtown daily. There really isn't much other employment downtown. When you compare us to Houston, Dallas, and Austin you'll find we are severely lacking.

Properties outside 410 are not exempt from zoning laws. They too face the zoning commission. Take a look at the zoning commission agenda sometime and see.

You all keep coming up with excuses why more people (and most businesses) live outside loop 410 than inside. Is it really that hard to accept the truth?

I hope this forum is still around in 5 or 10 years so I can pose another reality check. Downtown San Antonio is NOT going to change dramatically. Our suburbs will continue to attract most of the growth. Keep hoping, praying, and sharing your "ideas" on what should happen.

Yes, I am young. I have only lived in San Antonio for 3 years. Guess what? There are A LOT of young transplants moving to your city. You better get used to it.