View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.
First of all, it's 622', not 650'. With that being said, it's still well over 500', and therefore SA has had a skyscraper over 500' for many more years than San Diego and Austin (like 30 years probably) and is still the tallest thing between Houston and LA. It's a landmark, and you don't tear down landmarks. And not only is it a landmark, it's an icon. It, by itself, represents the city in the same way the skyline as a whole would and does. Put an IHOP in it and people would still go...cause I'm pretty sure most people go to the observation level and not the restaurant.

P.S. The Space Needle and Stratosphere Tower look more like UFOS then ToA.