View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 3:28 AM

Good points made there, CGII. Let me also continue this.

You know, I loved watching the Twin Towers as I drove across the Brooklyn Bridge with my dad back in the 90's. I got to go up to Windows of the World, the memory is shabby, but I was there.

Truthfully, I'd love to have the World Trade Center rebuilt, still there in fact, but it wouldn't be the same, especially with new Twin Towers. The entire feel has been stripped, and it's purpose diminished. What once stood as an office complex became one of the world's largest retail and commercial centers, with the highest grossing restaurant in 2000. That's something you can't just replace like 9/11 never happened. Compare the terrorists to bullies. They pick on you, and all you do is pick up after yourself and move on. Those terrorists, like it or not, if the Twin Towers are rebuilt, will have won the war, and it will make the United States look like the type who ''pick up after themselves.''

All the naysayers about the new WTC have to learn this: we're not turning back because some people want the towers rebuilt. Have you took into consideration that the Freedom tower has raised FOUR of it's perimeter columns to record heights these few weeks? Have you took into consideration that the steel has been fabricated for the memorial, trees ready for planting in New Jersey, AND that the north pool has been squared off? Finally, have you took into consideration that the new towers jeopardize the placements of both the PATH and the 1 line? You can't just raze all of that away, both MTA and the Port Authority would raise hell before they agree to that.

Not to mention Silverstein Properties, the leaseholder of the site. Him the Port Authority and Daniel Libeskind can agree that they're not about to demolish progress, regardless of how long it took, IT'S STILL PROGRESS. The original twin towers weren't built in a day, much less from 2008-2011, and they would have probably would have been set back by the global recession as well. Clearing the site for them would put both the PA and SSP into debt, and money, unfortunately, plays a huge role when it comes to the World Trade Center.

Finally, the Slurry wall, the reinforced wall that held back the Hudson when the towers collapsed. Rebuilding the towers would mean extending the bathtub to reach the towers' needs, and since the land has already been excavated, would put it, although you don't think it's possible, years behind schedule.

The new site plan doesn't even consider any of these problems, it's just a failed attempt to appease people, and restore the skyline. I've studied the WTC site for years now, and when I saw this new plan, I knew it wasn't possible. You may hate the new WTC plan, even for the rest of your life, but it's a sign of dignity, hope, rebirth, of course, and showing terrorists around the globe that this is the United States, and you can't harm our freedom by taking down two of our landmarks. That's where the name ''Freedom Tower'' is derived from.

There's only so much you can do with this 16-acre site, and this isn't one of the smartest plans. You forget, that you have to run these plans by Larry Silverstein, and then the Port Authority. The plan isn't going to be put into consideration without their approval.