View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Looks like that's from somewhere around Clarkson?

Anyways, the 40+ mile shots are what I'd be really interested in. The shore of St Catharines and Niagara on the Lake are about 31 miles from Toronto, and it looks like you should definitely be able to see Toronto from quite a bit further if you can get to a high enough elevation because you see Toronto quite well from those locations. You see it even better from a greater distance atop the Niagara escarpment in St Catharines and Hamilton which is about 37 miles.

Niagara Falls would be 42 miles, I haven't been up the towers there but I'd imagine you should be able to see Toronto from there reasonably well still considering you can see Niagara Falls from Oakville (39 miles) despite the Niagara Falls buildings being much shorter than Toronto's. You can even see Niagara Falls from pretty much lake level in Oakville, so if you can get to the top of the towers in NF which are on top of the escarpment (so maybe 800 ft above the lake) the Earth's curvature won't get in the way nearly as much as looking at NF from Oakville's waterfront.

Looking from some of the high-rises in Buffalo or K-W would be really cool, that would be over 50 miles. At that distance the sub-skylines of the Golden Horseshoe would stack so that they would appear like a continuous skyline from Scarborough to Mississauga (you already have that effect from St Catharines).