View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 5:43 PM
ABOVE people like you

Traffic Lights Hipnotize Forumers

I think people are getting way off track here. There is a huge difference between roadways built to move traffic and freeways that have killed off portions of cities. Some forumers are trying to portray them as the same thing.

Just because Winnipeg has done nothing doesn't put them ahead of the game, I guess the poor planning by the city that has resulted in all those traffic lights have finally hipnotized the few forumers that have been supporting the notion that there is no need for free flow expressways.
Edmonton Example: I can drive from Sherwood Park on the east side of Edmonton to west Edmonton with only 1 stop. contrary to the city killer suggestions The Whitemud Drive which cuts east to west has not killed any neighbourhoods along the way, if you glance out on either side you see new neighbourhoods, older established neighbourhoods, shopping areas, a major river valley park system, etc. all thriving. Again, it's not Houston type freeways of 10 lanes wide just a nice free flow road system. It's kind of nice to drive that distance without stopping.
Winnipeg Example: A similiar example would be to drive from Transcona to the Unicity area. How many dozens of lights and start and stops do you have to make.