View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 4:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You're telling me to go easy for that comment?

I think that's an insult to him more than me. Obviously he was able to take it. But I'm not sure if a bunch of shitty experiences in American cities, many of which were probably more than a few years ago when the downtown resurgence began, can really be fairly used in this discussion. Just ten years ago my city's downtown was a bunch of boarded up businesses and nothing to do, now it's the entertainment district and you can't find parking at any time of day (which hasn't affected it yet, but will eventually. Unlike Winnipeg we don't have oodles of surface lots everywhere.)

Times change. He's 41 years old so he should know that.

Part of the reason cities get so dangerous like that is because people hide from the bad parts. With no eyes on the streets, criminals have free reign. Condos aren't the only eyes. Hotels are too. You need both. And you need businesses to serve those people. Mixed use. It's not limited to just two uses.

Again using my hometown as an example: Thunder Bay has two downtowns. In one, there are no condos or hotels and most businesses close at 5pm. In the other, there is more than twice as many people living there, and businesses close at 2am. Which one do you think has more crime?

It's not the one with all the bars and hotels.
Last trip, 4 months ago, total miles put on, 5000. Last time in your town, 1 year ago. And before that, 10 years ago, looks the same to me, just has some more shiny signs.

Last small trip, last week. Total miles, 1000 plus. That was to the Twin cities