View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2011, 10:12 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Naw, I love UIC from ground level. I just wish I could see it undisturbed with all of the walkways remaining. Ironically I find Brutalism to the be most playful of all architectural styles to the pedestrian. Its a constant stream of columns, towering concrete geometries, and open spaces.

Now from the inside, that is where UIC is truly ugly. They need to gut rehab most of the buildings there.
They are rehabbing the buildings, albeit one at a time. Gone is the awful concrete and in its place is a traditional glass and aluminum facade. Last time I was there they were working on the 3rd classroom building. I do hope they leave the Behavioral Sciences building as-is, it's the most confusing maze of a building I've ever been in it's that's kinda of awesome in that one way.

However, Brutalism is not something I celebrate generally. It exemblifies the schism between architects and the public. What architects view as playful, most people view as oppressive. It is what you get when a group of intellectuals get together and think up something theoretically perfect without getting external feedback.

Then again, I might just be overthinking things myself. Perhaps celebrating concrete is just an inherently risky thing to do and very few people have the ability to do it right.