View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 6:15 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Well, that's Canadian federalism for you..

Had the American civil war not shaped our country by giving us a preference for a strong central government in order to keep rebellious states / provinces weak, maybe these lesser layers of government could do something for us plebes.
The provinces, combined, actually bring in more tax revenue than the federal government (but maybe that is because municipalities are technically part of the provincial government and their revenues are included?). We're one of the few countries that is like that. The US federal government plays with more money than all their states and territories combined.

I agree that provincial governments should be strengthened though. The federal level should be more of a unifying framework to help the provinces work together better, not some sort of overlord power than controls everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I like Thomas Steen and all but i don't understand how he is/can represent Elmwood. He has tones of cash, has a huge house, lives in Tuxedo and is supposed to relate and represent the people in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Winnipeg?

.......odd
Union leaders make tonnes of money and represent "the oppressed proletariat" well enough to bankrupt corporations. I'm sure they'll be "represented" just fine. I live in the poorest ward in my city and almost everyone who ever runs for ward councillor here lives in a tiny neighbourhood that is only part of our ward to make the population numbers add up right. They never even come to my part of the ward, unless it is to buy a building for cheap and become a slumlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Edit: On second thought, that was kinda creepy. Sorry.
My morbid curiosity makes me want to know what it was. My stomach says I am better off not knowing.