View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 9:13 AM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisblack View Post
I've only been to Houston once and I think anything this tall would look out of place and shadow everything. And what would they do about light every where would need lights as the buildings just so big. It's basically a triangler Sear Tower with more sections and takes up more space. I think it would waste those 9 blocks and thats a big place but at 1.3 miles high there must be so mcuh space. I think the reason this wasn't built is because it's not a good idea. Maybe in a built area but in Houston no. Look at that picture there's nothing even half the hieght.
Yes, because today the east side of DT looks exactly the same as it did in 1977-79 (based on aerial shots & maps from the period). mmkay.

I don't see where it mentioned "9 blocks" but based on the graphic from the period; Main, Leeland, Austin & Dallas streets would've been the boundaries giving it a 16 block footprint. Much of that space already has been developed (1500 Fannin, Parking Garages, Houston Pavilions, South Texas College of Law, etc...)

Regardless of the scope of this hypothetical project, that side of the district is growing quickly with, surprisingly enough, smaller scale developments than from the 70's and 80's boom that seem to be a bit more beneficial to residents and visitors. Worth noting in regard to today's developments; something of this scale, regardless of feasibility, I can't help but think would be dismissive to the street level.