View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 7:32 PM

NYguy, I just want to say that your posts are always extremely well-written and make some valid points, but given the fact that there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of other midcentury towers in Midtown East which are of far worse architectural quality and quality of office space, particularly in the immediate vicinity of this tower along the western side of Park Avenue, there is absolutely no way to justify the demolition of this building. Chase owns the land? How hard would it be for them to work out a deal with Colgate-Palmolive to swap out 270 with their white whale of a headquarters at 300 Park? If not, Chase has more than enough money to purchase one of the numerous other sites in the vicinity. Hell, if the city’s so involved in this process, there’s no reason at all that they couldn’t help work out some kind of deal with the owner of a truly outdated building somewhere else in Midtown East—even using eminent domain if it’s that important to keep Chase in the neighborhood. The building doesn’t function for Chase anymore? They’re ONE occupant out of millions of businesses in this city. See, for example, Colgate-Palmolive. I doubt that a toothpaste company is gonna require 20ft ceilings anytime soon—otherwise they would have demo’d their own building already. Every other amenity you’ve argued this building lacks has in fact been added by Chase over the years, or could be created without altering the exterior of the building. Hell, how many smaller businesses would kill for a Park Avenue address? Why couldn’t all or part of the building be renovated as some kind of innovation hub for multiple small tenants? It could be a tremendous boon to job creation in the city without sacrificing the architectural fidelity of this building. Just because it’s not right for single-tenant occupancy by a very specific group of large financial companies doesn’t mean it’s not viable for the businesses that make up the other 95% of the American economy. FWIW, I’d just like to add that 425 Park, as of yesterday, is still only something like 30% leased if I recall correctly. Make of that what you will.

In short, THERE IS NO REASON TO TEAR THIS BUILDING DOWN. The impact of its preservation on the survival of Midtown East as a business district will be negligible. Those of you who have argued in favor of it have proven once again that while SSP may be a skyscraper forum, it is definitely not an architecture forum.

Side note—if others who are in favor of landmarking this building have not done so already, I would suggest reaching out to feminist organizations and making them aware of Natalie de Blois’s role as one of the primary designers of 270. As far as I am aware, this was the first skyscraper to be designed primarily by a woman and this fact should be presented along with any appeal to the LPC. It may cause them to reconsider their earlier decision on 270’s historical significance.