View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawImages View Post
Disappointing to see great buildings like this keep getting destroyed

Europe and back east have buildings going back hundreds of years , yet we on the California west coast seem to tearthings down within 50 -100 years on a rotating basis

I would love to see a gas station or any old historic buildings be given incentives to stay in business and keep the older businesses rather than tearing them down.

Tax breaks, etc if you take a station like this and retrofit modern technology masked by time period pieces. New gas pump mechanics inside of old pumps so the "look" was still there

I know I am dreaming, but isnt that what we all do here LOL

Would be nice to start saving older buildings some how and making it a money maker to keep them rather than tear them down
In the case of the Cucamonga Service Station, we are in luck. Just a couple of weeks after the posts here about them (January 2013) where I mentioned that efforts were being made to save it, it was reported on Route66News.com that the station had been acquired by a non-profit historic preservation group called Route 66 Inland Empire California. As mentioned in the earlier posts, the back building was lost in 2011 - it was torn down after a 2010 rainstorm caused the roof to collapse. But the gas station building is now on the way to restoration. There was a Poker Run fundraiser in October.