View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhavel View Post
Creating a great culinary base at the Pearl is definitely a cool phase of this project. And, while I understand its necessary to create this and other amenities before real residential development can be successful, I am growing weary of the Pearl's original new urbanism and multi-economic residential roots.

Maybe the case is that this development isn't an organic one - decisions to build are by internal board members trying to create a community. While restaurants like Il Sogno, The Sandbar, and Texas Farm to Table are great establishments, I don't see them as signs of a multi-income development. Perhaps this La Gloria place will be more affordable and accessible. Maybe the multi-income aspect will come into play when the development is more accessible in public transportation. There's just something odd when someone like me, an avid urbanist who is continuously looking on information on new urbanist projects, cannot find information, or the broad plan, of the Pearl. There's something secretive about its evolution, and I'd like there to be more community involvement.

It also, thus far, seems to cater to one demographic (with Melissa Guerra's outrageously expensive Mexican-imports, to Aveda, and all the high-class restaurants). I don't see current evidence, future plans, or heard of Pearl officials speak about development that has children, teenagers, or older people in mind. Just something to think about.

I love the Pearl development, and the revitalization and adaptive-reuse it stands for. I'm just trying to open a different dialogue -- one that asks what the implications are for this kind of inorganic community building (how will surrounding property rates be affected), and what can be done to make sure it is accessible to multi-economic and demographic people, in residence and commerce. I want to see the Pearl thrive on these aspects so much. And I cannot wait until I can walk around the border and see Il Sogno in relative proximity to some Jalisco taqueria, a Chris Madrid's-like burger place, and a man selling paletas on a bicycle -- because that is diversity.
Not disagreeing with you, just adding to the dialogue.
And with that dialogue, I have questions of my own:
Is this a private development or a public project?
As far as diversity, there is plenty around there; Pig Stand, Timbo's, Sam's Burger Joint, a couple of Mexican food places, and if you don't like those, there are a few other places on St. Mary's.
I see what you're saying about the current tenants; however, which one is it: do locals want a new place to eat? or a place to work? Which would help the neighboring communities out more? Who'd be more likely to live nearby? A couple eating there once a month? or a couple of employees that work there 5-6 days a week?
I can't comment too much on it possibly raising property values, none of us know that impact yet and the living spaces are not that much higher than market value; all 8 of them. Personally, I think that any kind of rail transit on Broadway will have a bigger impact on property values than this will.
They may have been trying to satisfy too many people in the beginning, but I don't think that it is up to one project to satisfy all. There is plenty of room for additional develompent along Broadway and there's no telling what that may bring. You can't judge an entire neighborhood for one project; there is a place for everything in the larger picture.
This is only the start, and although you may think it is "inorganic" the rest of the neighboring properties and develompents that pop up afterwards will be organic (unless every single property within a mile radius is bought up by Silver Ventures/Rio Perla.) And then, we will have diversity.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925