View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 2:31 PM
Density and complexity

Having worked closely to most of these 38 individuals (plus the many others who have already died) for the better part of seven years, I think institutionalization would be a good thing for them. Not simply because of a "it's a drain on the system" argument, but because of the physical and mental harm (and eventually, an untimely death) that this lifestyle brings to these people. I can't tell you how many 40-year-old men I've encountered that look like their 60 and get around like they're 90, or have lost their ability to walk because of sniffing, lost toes to frostbite, or have simply died. It happens all the time.

Regardless of whatever caused this behavior, these folks are slowly killing themselves by living such a harmful lifestyle. Blaming society and "colonialization" doesn't change that. If society is judged by how we treat our poorest citizens, then we're obviously not a just society if we allow this to continue because of guilt or whatever else.

If they didn't want long-term treatment, I don't think they would be happy to spend most of their days and nights sitting in the HSC waiting room or a drunk tank cell. Nor would a number of them voluntarily check into Detox several times a year.