View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2008, 3:52 AM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well wait a minute here...what exactly IS your solution then ? More of the same ? Just allow them to continue to squander our money ?

Look , if the 'solution' basically comes down to us giving them absolutely everything they'll ever need to live comfortably then why are any of us working in the first place ? Oh yeah ! Somebody has to actually pay for this stuff. And what the heck are you talking about "just accept that this is part of us and we'll function alot better" ? No. I will not and nor should I accept this situation.

As well , this is exactly the kind of ad-hominem crap I was talking about earlier on. If somebody points out that we're doing our part for these people already, they're labelled not compassionate enough if they refuse to do more. That's total balogna. Nobody is saying we should lock these people up and throw away the key. Nobody is saying we should somehow make them "disappear". In fact, people are trying to actually help them but THEY DON'T WANT THAT HELP. For whatever reason they won't help themselves but that's somehow our fault.

If they won't do it because they're mentally ill then why are we allowing a disease to dictate what help they'll take and what help they won't ? If it's because of some addiction then why are we allowing their addiction to overrule their best interests for basic survival ? Or are they actually in their right minds in the first place ? If that's the case then we don't owe them one more iota of help.

As far as most people are concerned, common sense dictates that we either cut them off from society or force them into it. If they want in then we'll give them all the help they need. This is all already offered. We've done our part here but if we can't force them to take that help then there's no point in offering it to them anymore. You realize that this is what "acceptance" of their situation ultimately means. If we're just going to have to 'accept' that they're pariahs then we should deal with them as if they were leeches on society and excise them one way or another. BUT WAIT ! No, that's not what anybody actually wants. We want to help them. Well, you can't lead a horse to water and force it to drink right ? So are we also supposed to live their lives for them ? Maybe we could peal them a grape while we're at it
if there gonna spend millions of dollars they might as well have a dedicated area for this troubled situation, that way they atleast know where they are, and where they are not. i remember awhile back they wanted to make a red light district area for u know who, i would liked that better knowing and controlling a situation is much betting then throwing money out there and the situation is just out to lunch. vancouver has a safe are for junkies to shoot up, well in that same context that can be applied. if they really want to control it, then control it make designated areas.