View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
That potential of losing the PP food court is definitely a concern. Although I wouldn't rule them out just yet (depending on what the new landlords will do to Portage Place).

[...]

Not sure where the fear of losing the space and the status quo of Portage Place came from, but what I can say is that this was brought onto ourselves for what it is right now, and I feel that something needs to be done right now. Whether it to be tear it down and reunite Edmonton Street, or do a complete renovation by recladding/reconditioning the exterior, new curtain glass, new reclad the skywalks, and pretty much bring the whole mall into the 21st Century, not stuck in 1987.
I'm also not sure why people expect the food court to disappear. It's an extremely strategic location right on Portage, and if hundreds of students are living directly above, it's only going to get busier. The new Hargrave food hall is serving a totally different market.

The exterior brick cladding of Portage Place still looks great. And honestly, I think the interior has aged pretty well too (aside from the food court). OK, teal and coral are not exactly trendy colours anymore, but it's still a brighter and more pleasant space than CityPlace, which is so bland and beige. If they renovated the interior of Portage Place and made it look more like CityPlace, I think that would actually be a step down...