View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
IN SA it hasn't. I just know that a 300' in any other large city isn't going to raise much of an eyebrow and have as much scrutiny. I know thats only an SA thing...So a 300' building proposed here would generally take a lot longer to get underway over a 300' building proposed in some other city like...Dallas or Houston for instance....Right?...Who knows i may be dead wrong and maybe 300' buildings even in chicago take over a year most of the time to get off the ground! lol...Anyway I hope this gets built...With the NIX so close...it would look nice.

I just wish taller buildings in SA could go up as easily as...say...Staybridge went up...And how quickly Vistana started construction...I mean come on why didn't those take so long to get underway?
The reason buildings like the Staybridge and the Vistana are going up so fast is because they are not in the RIO district, which has height restrictions if buildings block light into the riverwalk corridor. If you look at the hdrc review committee agenda pdf, you will see the designs are presented with how the building's shadow will cast at summer and winter solstice. Not only do buildings in SA have to get pass the hdrc, but they might have to get the zoning changed and then ultimately, city council approval.

Cities, like Houston, that don't have any zoning restrictions can approve buildings much quicker. I am not sure about Dallas or Austin, but I know that thier restrictions in historic districts are not as stringent as San Antonio. We have the Riverwalk and the Alamo, which have caused a lot of buildings to be scaled down or not been built because of viewshed or shadow restrictions.