View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

cities could make even more tax revenue if these stupid fucking suburban-style fast food shit-boxes that were so obnoxiously imposed upon city neighborhoods in the 70s/80s were blown to smithereens and replaced with proper urban development that would actually make the land pay and increase property tax revenue 10-fold.

take a look at this utterly shitacular train-wreck of unmitigated suburban awfulness 3 blocks from our house. it's a full block site (0.75 acres) fronting a major commercial street with one lone stupid little fast food restaurant w/ drive-up and 40 parking spaces. in all the times i've walked past it, i can't ever remember seeing the parking lot even 25% filled, it's usually more like 10% (it's burger king, which is terrible, so of course nobody actually goes there). it's such a monumental waste of space and potential. the owner is almost certainly just landbanking the site until they can get a big payday for it, but for the decades that may take, the neighborhood must suffer its wretched presence.

if i were king of the universe, i would not only make it illegal to build such terrible crap in urban neighborhoods to begin with, i would also rain hellfire missiles down upon all such existing locations in our cities.
When I clicked on the link, I dragged the image a bit, and saw the Isla Filipina in the strip mall next door to the BK. Have you eaten there? If you have, is it any good? Just curious.

Looking at its sign, I see it also serves teriyaki chicken (WTH?), and refers to lumpia as "eggrolls." Haha!
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9685...7i16384!8i8192

~ Charles Bukowski