View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 6:24 PM

I've seen a lot of people photoshopping the Sasktel Centre over certain areas of the downtown lately. This is great, but I think we need to remember that what would be build is an arena with a larger footprint that the Sasktel Centre.

During the presentation to city council, one comparable that was brought up a few times was the Iowa Events Center in Des Moines. It contains a convention center and the Wells Fargo Arena. The area was finished in 2010, and the Wells Fargo Arena is a modern arena that seats about 15,000 - 16,000, depending on the type of event. The arena is home to the Iowa Barnstormers of the Arena Football League, and also home of the Iowa Wild of the AHL. I went to google maps and took screen shots of roughly the same distance away and did some photoshop magic.

The arena itself would fit in all three downtown locations that I can find, though the Toys R Us location would be a tight squeeze.

North Downtown

22nd and Pacific

20th street

Honestly, I'm a big fan of the 22nd and Pacific location because I think we could tie it into the hotels nearby and perhaps save some money by building a skywalk to the current events centre. It could lead to the warehouse district being a busy hub for the arena, and 22nd street is a major-ish street in the city.