View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2019, 5:16 PM

A few disparate thoughts:

I'm assuming all Prop 1A, ARRA funds, and Cap & Trade allocations will be fully used. Will those funds be enough to get to Bakersfield proper and Merced proper, not Poplar Ave to Madera (and is that indeed the new plan's phase 1)?

Will ACE get state funds beyond the current funding to extend track to Merced? It would make sense to electrify and do a couple short tunnels in the Altamont and Sunol. Dumbarton if we're feeling spendy.

How would the trainsets work, especially if ACE/NorCal Unified Service remains un-electrified? If I'm going Bakersfield to Fremont or Sacramento am I travelling at 220mph then switching trains at Merced or just dropping speed? Same question in reverse. Is the current San Joaquins track and service remaining or are the sections made redundant by the new track shut down?

I wonder if this means whenever we throw the next big batch of funds (whether state or federal) at the project, if it goes to the San Gabriel tunnels before Pacheco? I don't doubt that Pacheco will get it's HSR, the political power structures in Silicon Valley/NorCal are too strong for it not to, but with upgraded Altamont service maybe the Bakersfield to LA connection becomes the next priority.