View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Buffalo is in some ways like a Chicago in miniature, as it has different "sides" which radiate out from Downtown.

The area right near the waterfront to the northeast of Downtown is intact, working class, and racially diverse. I think it's plurality Latino, but there are lots of blacks, whites, and Asians as well.

There is a band running due north from Downtown - starting with the gorgeous historic neighborhood of Allentown and running all the way to city limits - which is very white and very yuppie.

Then every neighborhood fanning out from Downtown to the northeast or east is majority black. The blight is concentrated in those neighborhoods closest in. Some of the outer neighborhoods are quite intact.

South Buffalo is still an overwhelmingly working-class white area. Little in the way of walkability.
South Buffalo is the most unknown of the unknown parts of Buffalo. It is separated from most of the rest of the city by the Buffalo River, major railroad lines, and the (now former) dirty heavy industries in between. The area has cleaned up rather nicely, and most of it goes unknown and unexplored even by Buffalonians. A lot more walkability than it is given credit for, more than just a working class neighborhood, but relatively isolated compared to the contiguous neighborhoods north of downtown. Beautiful parks and parkways, comparable to those on the West Side. Former industrial waterfront now includes the new Buffalo Harbor State Park, extensive hike and bike trails, and small beaches. Local investment is picking up in the business districts, and old steel industry sites like the Union Ship Canal and Republic Steel at Riverbend are being filled with newer and cleaner industries.

My South Buffalo Neighborhood Flickr Album

Gallagher Beach, on former industrial land in South Buffalo.
by bpawlik, on Flickr

My Buffalo Neighborhood Flickr Albums