Thread: VIA Rail
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I could see VIA working in the corridor, Calgary-Edmonton, and possibly Moncton-Halifax.

Joining these three functioning networks with a single skeleton line service would be an achievable goal for VIA, but it has to completely reorganize its thinking and structure.
First priority to me is to have a daily regional Calgary - Winnipeg train and 3-4 daily trains between Calgary and Edmonton to act as a place holder until decisions can be made about higher speed rail. This would promote the service and if it could do the trip in 3 hrs it would show how much latent demand there is for inter-city service.

I would change Halifax- Moncton to Halifax-Moncton-St John with daily service The Ocean should also be daily between Montreal and Halifax.

These improvements would address regional alienation, promote a more climate sensitive for of transport and actually service larger centres of population than much of Via route.

Some of this would require infrastructure upgrades and using some of the Canadian's equipment until new trains can be acquired.

I agree that Ottawa to Montreal should be electrified with hybrid locomotives which are already in use by AMT in Montreal. Some curves need to be re-aligned for faster speeds and there should be a rail/rail separation between Via and CP near Coteau.