View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
This is what I warned about in the other thread about remote work.

In a services based economy, people who would have otherwise lived in more affordable cities will feel compelled by the need to obtain a job to move to these places despite them being rather punishing places to live for people who are working class. Also as they build more and more stuff these towns and the natural environments around them are going to be transformed in a way nobody really wants.

The sad irony is that if gloomy predictions about remote work and people moving come true, the kind of places that become their best self when they are bustling and populous(cities) will lose people while the kind of places whose character and soul dies when they get crowded and gentrified(small quaint or natural towns or rural areas) are going to get overpopulated.

The final outcome is then something that makes nobody happy.
It's a crazy trend for sure. I feel like there is some of this happening in Denver right now. Our prices were going up prior to the pandemic, but they kept going up even faster this past year. That to me says folks from the coastal areas are coming in.

One has to wonder how much of a long-term trend this is though. These areas are fun for the first couple years as you spend your time exploring the natural scenery, hiking, skiing, etc. But, unless you are a hardcore outdoorsy person, it might begin to wear off and you suddenly find yourself missing SF/LA/NYC for the culture, etc.

Maybe I am wrong though.... I personally feel like Denver COI isn't worth it anymore for me, now that I can work remotely long term. I might be the anomaly that is looking in the opposite direction of heading to a bigger city (Chicago) since I value the city culture more than the slopes.