View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 6:53 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Also, as milomilo and others would tell you, in a properly-designed carbon tax framework, there wouldn't be any formal "limitation" - all previously available behaviors would still continue to be available. You'd just be charged something that more closely matches said behavior's environmental footprint, and the whole thing would be revenue-neutral.

No downside, except for those who waste.

Generally, it would be like switching from an all-you-can-eat format for $15 to a pay-what-you-eat format where the average customer eats for $10 and is full. Basically, it's a winning change for everybody, except for those who liked to take many plates and leave half of each plate, and intend to continue to like that. Those people's restaurant bills would be the ones going up...
It's easy for people to support small doses of carbon pricing when it comes to personal vehicles, but if this logic is extended to all facets of our day to day lives we might as well go back and live on a farm like our great grandparents did...or go live in some shit hole third world country where you haul water from a well every morning.

I'm at least honest and consistent about it. I know my presence has huge implications on the environment. I accept it. I'm not going to arbitrarily draw a line based on my own agenda so I can look down from my high horse.