View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 19, 2004, 4:41 PM

Finally!!!!!!!! I'm more than ready to see those bridges, parks, and especially the urban development around it. This could be the most important development in the history of Dallas. Can't wait to see the urban development around it, though I hate the Trinity Expressway. But, hey the Woodall Rodgers bridge is still on schedule, and the I-30 bridge has been rapidly moving forward as funding has really moved the bridge up a lot. All the way to the schedule of the Woodall Rodgers bridge.

Quote:
Officials: Work on Trinity River Project to get under way soon
09:19 PM CDT on Sunday, July 11, 2004
By EMILY RAMSHAW / The Dallas Morning News
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...nity.16f5a.html

Six years ago, Dallas voters narrowly approved the largest bond package in city history – $246 million to fund the visionary Trinity River Project. To date, they've hardly seen a shovel turn dirt, let alone the construction of lakes, paths and parkway they anticipated. But Trinity officials say this is about to change. With a federal injunction on the wetlands project lifted since May, the city is about to embark on its first true construction phase. Within months, they say, residents could begin to see what they've waited for.

"We've really reached the end of the tunnel," said Gene Rice, project manager with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. "The lights are shining on us now." Some Dallas natives aren't so sure. They say they've felt this close before, only to have the project pushed back year after year. "I'll believe it when I see it," said Kim Furstenwerth, 56, a Dallas interior architect. "When I first heard about it, I thought it was a wonderful idea. But by now, I've given up hope."

First, there was the injunction. Then, in 2003, Dallas Mayor Laura Miller and City Council members switched gears, unveiling and approving a design that overrode existing blueprints. City staffers say the project should be complete by late 2010 or early 2011. Others say that may be too ambitious. "There are so many people spending countless hours on this," said Rebecca Dugger, director of the city's Trinity River Corridor Project. "You have to have patience and faith."