View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Blacktrojan - thanks for posting and sharing. What was your logic for liking Thunderchild as a name again?

also, very intruiged by the statement: "The plan at present is to ensure the proposed name has gone through the Civic Naming Committee for health and safety reasons"

What kind of name could possibly have health and safety implications?
I suppose any controversial name that could either be a rallying point for protestesr or the focus of political protests. Think Harper Highway. Maybe a name that encourages recklessness like the Regina Autobahn.

I still do not get the Thunderchild thing. He has nothing to do with Regina. He is a Treaty 6 chief. I could understand a Treaty 4 Chief:

Treaty 4 signatories from the chiefs as follows: Ka-kii-shi-way (Ochapowace), Pis-qua (Pasqua), Ka-wez-ance (Cowessess), Ka-kee-na-wup (Muskowekwan), Kus-kee-tew-mus-coo-musqua (Little Black Bear), Ka-ne-on-us-ka-tew (Gordon), Can-ah-ha-cha-pew (Peepeekisis), Kii-si-caw-chuck (Day Star), Ka-ra-ca-toose (Kawacatoose), Ka-kii-nis-ta-haw (Kahkewistehaw), Cha-ca-chas (Ochapowace), Wa-pii-moose-too-sus (Star Blanket), Meemay (Cote).

Personally I think I would prefer a descriptive or generic name unless the historic individual name really rolled off the tongue and would actually be used by people.