View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 12:39 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
Strongly disagree with the last two comments. I grew up in Charleswood and would sometimes see deer in my backyard as a kid. It was something I totally took for granted and thought was normal. Now I'm older and live in another city, and see just how special it is to have deer living in Winnipeg.

They're beautiful creatures, and the fact that we can co-exist with them is something that not many cities the size of Winnipeg can say. One could also say that our connection to nature is one of the defining characteristics of Canada, and our main tourism draw. If Winnipeggers see deer as pests, we do so at our own peril.
I do agree with you, as I also really enjoy having deer in the city, and wildlife corridors, like the riverbanks, are important for more living things than just deer.

But the other posts do make a good point about the deer population - it is out of control in the city. This is mainly due to the lack of predators, the obvious lack of hunting, and ample resources for the deer to feed and mate.

However, we also have cases of Chronic wasting disease (buzzword name: zombie deer disease) in Manitoba's deer population. This could be devastating to the local deer population, especially in Winnipeg where their population is so large. It may be nature's way of controlling the population but it is a prion and it's not a nice disease...

Chronic Wasting disease: (deer blood warning) https://thenarwhal.ca/chronic-wasting-disease-manitoba/

I think the issue is not that we have deer, but that their population is not managed well... and this causes them to be more of a 'pest'. We need to explore how to better manage their existence, and the river corridors in the city and try to create some sort of balance.

Last edited by peg; Feb 28, 2023 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Fixed link.