View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2022, 1:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
456 feet is the tallest I can measure it from in Google Earth from street level.

I do trust the Google Earth imagery and numbers. I've even noticed that some of the building elevations I have for Austin buildings have the same numbers that I get in Google Earth. I don't know if that means they're relying on Google Earth somewhat, or if it just means both are accurate and so are coming up with the same numbers.

Measuring the Marriott Rivercenter in Google Earth, I get:

456 feet to the top of the spires.

422 feet to the top of the pyramidal structures.

395 feet to the bottom of the pyramidal structures.

381 feet to the top of the roof parapet above the Marriott sign.

380 feet to the roof slab above the Marriott sign.

379 feet to the top of the 8 decorative lights below the pyramidal supports.

375 feet to the roof slab inside the pyramidal structure supports.

370 feet to the top of the parapet of the highest setback.

362 feet to the top of the main roof parapet.

359 feet to the main roof slab.

314 feet to the top of the parapet of the 2nd highest setback.

255 feet to the top of the parapet of the 3rd highest setback.

193 feet to the top of the parapet of the lowest setback.

Google Earth also shows you two numbers in the bottom right of the screen. One is the elevation where your cursor is placed. That's how you can measure building heights. Take the number you get from the roof top and then subtract the street level number from that. There is a second number next to it that shows what your eye altitude is letting you know high off the ground your point of view is. All of those numbers are sea level heights. The top of the Grand Hyatt measures at 1,077 feet above sea level. So, you can take the eye level height and lower it so that it's level with the roof height of the Grand Hyatt. Here's what that looks like with the Marriott spires poking above the Grand Hyatt.

So, the numbers I got when I measured to the top of those pyramids was 422 feet. The height that I received at the time the Grand Hyatt was being developed, and this came from someone at Hyatt who was working on the project, was 424 feet 3 inches tall to the top of the parapet/screen wall (the big grey box). These images show those two points on those two buildings to be pretty close to those numbers I just posted.
Nice reporting, Kevin. I believe those numbers.

What are the criteria for someone making the changes in the SSP database/diagrams?